Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Steve's Grand Vision

Steve Grand, the creator of Creatures, and an independent AI researcher in his own right, has written an article in the IEEE Intelligent Systems magazine called Moving AI out of its Infancy: Changing our preconceptions. I find his ideas interesting, but not as groundbreaking or revolutionary as he imagines.

He dismisses traditional AI and connectionist methods as unsuccessful and based on false assumptions. A more or less fair assesment perhaps, but I think he has misunderstood the nature of what he calls "New AI", specifically claiming that it is influenced by the nervous systems of the simplest invertebrates. He is in search of what he calls the "periodic table" of AI, some radical new paradigm of intelligence that will transform AI from alchemy to chemistry, so to speak. I have serious issues with this. First, he bases his methods on being able to simulate the human brain, a very anthropocentric approach that may not be the best idea, given the tools of computation we have now and how little we understand (or even think we understand) the human brain.

Second, i think the view that intelligence must be based on one simple and easily described paradigm, that we just need to find and apply, is wrong. Researchers in Computational Brain Theory seem to be coming round to the view that the intelligence of the brain doesnt follow from one particular model of computation/cognition (say a hopfield network) but is an emergent behaviour of some pretty complex sub-systems which are functionally and operationally quite different.(More on this in a later post.) Intelligence must be engineered, using many different ideas, and we will most likely approach it asymptotically, like evolution did.

The rest of the article mentions some of the insights that he has, and I think a couple are worth mentioning, "Brains dont make decisions" and "Brains preform coordinate transforms". But I think these are just interesting alternate viewpoints on the problem itself and not necessarily constructive steps to a solution. I was disappointed that he seems to be focusing on questions that are exclusively in the realm of robotics. What about common sense, learning etc. ? Oh Well.

5 Comments:

Blogger Srinath said...

I went through the article. But ditchy...do you think it required 50000 neurons to recognize a banana..well may be thats why he's is probably right in suggesting that a transformation in the viewpoint of scientists at a very fundamental level must evolve...

nice post...had fun reading it..

Ciao
Srinath

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Chris said...

I want to hear more about these "operationally" independent subsystems :) You said you'd cover it in a later post, but I'm still waiting...

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Free site Free Article Search. It pretty much covers current science article related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

11:14 PM  
Blogger Air Filters said...

Hey, nice blog and great info!
For those really into car accident article
related topics and information, this site would do you nicely.
Come and check it out if you get time I would really appreciate it :-)

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home